Retailers with Writer (or above) permissions on an assortment can use Bulk SMU Import to create and populate multiple SMUs in one action. This tool simplifies the process of adding SMUs to your assortment, making it more efficient and less error-prone.
Note: Importing can be used only for adding new SMUs, not for updating/replacing existing products.
Download the template
To upload SMUs into an assortment, you need to download the template first. You can then populate it with data in proper columns in Excel or another spreadsheet editor.
Optionally, you can use your own file format as long as column headers match the ones used in the template. Import will work even if you place columns in a different order, and any additional columns that are not available for import will be ignored.
To download the template:
- In an assortment, click the kebab menu (three dots) on the upper right side of your page.
- Select Add Product > Bulk SMU Import > Export template.
This will download a file with all the appropriate column headers.
Note: Only editable columns will be included in the template. Other schema fields will be excluded.
Upload your SMUs
Using the downloaded template, or a spreadsheet of your own, you can upload your SMUs into the assortment. Each product row from your file will create a new SMU, populated with data in the appropriate fields.
Upload tips and requirements:
- XLS, XLSX, or CSV only.
- Maximum file size: 2MB.
- Remove any additional columns that are not part of the import.
- Make sure all column names are unique.
- Columns that are read only, formulas, or lookups will be skipped.
To upload your file:
- In the spreadsheet, populate data for all the SMUs you want to add, then save the file.
Note: If you use sizes and UPC Upload feature, 2 fields will be included at the end of each template: Selected Sizes and UPC. You can populate these with comma-separated list of values to add sizes and UPC values within this same upload.
- In the assortment section, click the kebab menu (three dots) on the upper right side of your page and select Add Product > Bulk SMU Import.
- Drag and drop your file containing the new SMU data to the file uploader, or select click here to open your file explorer.
Note: Be sure to follow the upload tips and specifications. Errors (if any) will be listed in the uploader popup with affected rows. You must resolve all the errors so that the import is successful.
- After successful import, click Save to actually add the SMUs to the assortment.
That’s it. You’ll see all new SMUs in the assortment with the associated data populated.
Importing and custom default values
Importing respects default row value when creating new SMUs so you can populate data that you would like to apply to all SMUs, like Dept or Brand.
- If there is a value in the default row and no value in the upload, the value in the default row will apply.
- If there is a value in the default row and a different value in the upload, the upload will apply.
If there are any errors in your upload, the upload will fail and you’ll see an error message with a list of issues with your file. You need to fix the errors before the file can be uploaded successfully.
Possible errors include:
- Wrong file type (XLS, XLSX, or CSV only).
- Incorrect formatting, for example
- Cost contains non-numeric values
- Restricted dropdown fields contain invalid values
Note: If you populated data into non-editable fields in your excel this will not cause an error. Those fields will simply be skipped and that data ignored.