This article is for the ONLINE version of QuickBooks.
Quickbooks Online can be connected to NuORDER through an API integration.
The flow of data will include:
- Products - from QuickBooks to NuORDER
- Customers - from QuickBooks to NuORDER
- Inventory - from QuickBooks to NuORDER
- Orders - from NuORDER to QuickBooks
Depending on your requirements, and QuickBooks setup, the capabilities and limitations of your integration may vary.
The average QuickBooks integration will take approximately 8-10 weeks from the project kickoff to completion. This does not mean we'll be spending 8-10 weeks writing code, but rather this is the complete time to get through all stages of the rollout. The part of the process that takes the most time is prepping your Quickbooks Online data for the integration. Once this is complete, testing and final review should only take a couple weeks.
- Planning and discovery sessions
- Any preparation on your side to get your QuickBooks data cleaned up and ready for integration
- Testing and review in the NuORDER sandbox
- Final review and sign-off
- Transfer from sandbox to production
- Post-launch troubleshooting
Who's Involved From Your Team
- Your QuickBooks Administrator, or someone technical who is familiar with your specific QB setup.
- A Sales or Operations Manager who understands your business, how it is structured and how the reps sell.
What you'll be doing:
- Answering questions about your specific QuickBooks setup and sales process.
- In some cases, you might need to make some bulk adjustments (e.g. adding a new field or editing for consistency) to your data in QuickBooks so that we can achieve the best possible experience for your users in NuORDER.
- Reviewing your data in the NuORDER sandbox and providing feedback.
- Reviewing test orders in QuickBooks and providing feedback.
- Reviewing and validating again as any adjustments are made to the feeds.
- Providing the final sign-off to go live.
- Reviewing the data feeds day-to-day after you go live to make sure everything is looking correct.
- Working with us and the developer to address any issues that may arise once your team is using NuORDER in the live sales environment.
Who's Involved From the NuORDER Team:
- An Integration Manager who will be your day-to-day point person, manage the project and guide you through the rollout from start to finish.
What we'll be doing:
- Asking questions about your specific QuickBooks setup and sales process.
- Working with the developer as they configure the data files to import & export based on your specific business rules.
- Advising on any special requirements and how they can be achieved through the integration.
- Reviewing test data with you in the NuORDER sandbox.
- Generating and exporting test orders to QuickBooks.
- Making sure your team is updated throughout the process and addressing delays that might occur on either side.
- Working with you and your developer to troubleshoot any unexpected issues that arise after launch.
What's Supported: Products
Creating & updating items: Our system will be able to identify which items are new and which already exist in our system.
Custom fields are supported in NuORDER.
Sync parameters: You will be able to specify which products should be sent to NuORDER.
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to export product updates from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do 1-2x daily.)
Item Name: Your item name will be your style number in NuORDER. If this contains size information, your item name nomenclature must be consistent in order for NuORDER to properly truncate for your style number.
Removing products: Disabling/Archiving/Canceling products will be done directly in NuORDER.
The naming convention for item Name must be consistent, so that logic can be applied to splice the Style Number, Color, and Size from fields. If it is not consistent, you may need to take the time to update your product records so that it is consistent.
What's Supported: Customers
Creating & updating customers: Our system will be able to identify which customers are new and which already exist in our system.
Custom fields can be supported if needed.
Multiple billing & shipping addresses are supported.
Sync parameters: You be able to specify which customers should be sent to NuORDER.
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to send customer updates from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do 1-2x daily.)
Buyer data (name, email address, sales rep assignment) is not included in the customer data feed and must be managed directly within NuORDER.
Common upload errors: The most common upload error is when Line 1 or Country is missing from an address. Make sure this is entered for every customer.
Two-way customer sync is not supported at this time. Your customers must originate in QuickBooks Online and be synced to NuORDER with all the necessary account codes. (This is how QuickBooks Online will recognize the customer when the order is synced back in.) Bi-directional syncing for customers is on our product roadmap for future development.
Process for New Customers: Customer records must be identical in both systems to sync orders successfully. When working with a new customer in NuORDER, you will need to save the order as a DRAFT. Your team will need to add the new customer record into QuickBooks first and sync it to NuORDER. Once the customer is visible in NuORDER, the sales rep can open their draft, select the customer, fill in the buyer's name and email address, and submit the official order.
Removing customers: Archiving customers will be done directly in NuORDER.
What's Supported: Inventory
Immediate ATS (available to sell) quantities will be synced from QuickBooks to NuORDER.
Warehouses: Multiple warehouses are supported in NuORDER. You will need to set up the warehouses in NuORDER prior to uploading your data. (Go to Admin > Brand Settings.)
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to sent inventory data from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do hourly.)
Immediate ATS quantities are not updated in QuickBooks until the order is invoiced. If the period between the sales order creation and invoicing is significant, then inventory quantities that sync back to NuORDER will be incorrect. NuORDER does deduct quantities from inventory as orders are placed so inventory syncing can be turned off if this becomes problematic.
WIP (work-in-progress) inventory is not supported.
Prebooking: For items that should have unlimited quantity available in NuORDER, you will control this directly in NuORDER via the Admin section. Rules can be based on any product attributes, and you will have direct access to control and update the rules as needed.
What's Supported: Orders (NuORDER -> QuickBooks)
Custom fields are supported.
Sync Parameters: You will be able to select Approved, Pending, or In Review orders to be exported from NuORDER.
Sync Schedule: Orders sync every 5 minutes.
Order fulfillment process: Once the order has been synced to QuickBooks, your team will take it from there per your normal approval and fulfillment process.
Order Import Failures: When we send the orders to QuickBooks, we provide the customer codes as well as the product SKUs. If any of these values are not recognized in QuickBooks, the order may fail to sync. If this happens, you will need to review the order and resolve the issue.
Editing or Canceling orders: After the order has been imported into QuickBooks, any further changes must be done directly in QuickBooks.