This article applies to the Online version of QuickBooks.
Our in-house NuORDER team has developed an integration with QuickBooks Online. To ensure a smooth integration project, please make sure your QuickBooks Online portal is populated with product and customer data in advance.
The data flow encompasses the following elements:
- Products - from QuickBooks Online to NuORDER
- Customers - from QuickBooks Online to NuORDER
- Inventory - from QuickBooks Online to NuORDER
- Orders - from NuORDER to QuickBooks Online
Note: Depending on your requirements, and QuickBooks setup, the capabilities and limitations of your integration may vary.
The data feeds will be execute multiple times daily based on mutually agreed schedules and ingest any new/changed records into NuOrder for Products/Customers/Inventory. Orders will sync from NuORDER to QuickBooks Online upon submission.
The QuickBooks Online integration project is expected to take around 12-16 weeks from the project kickoff to completion. This timeline encompasses all stages of the rollout, including:
- Planning and discovery sessions
- Data cleanup and preparation on your end for QuickBooks Online integration
- Custom configuration of the data integration between NuORDER and QuickBooks Online
- Testing and review in the NuORDER sandbox
- Adjustments as needed
- Final review and sign-off
- Transition from the sandbox to production
- Post-launch troubleshooting
Your team's involvement
From your team, the following key roles will be involved:
- Your QuickBooks Online Administrator or a technically proficient team member familiar with your QB setup.
- A Sales or Operations Manager who understands your business structure and the sales process.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing detailed information about your QuickBooks Online setup and sales process.
- Ensuring that your QuickBooks Online portal is ready for integration (e.g., product, customer, and inventory data is populated in QuickBooks Online).
- Offering insights into data fields used in QuickBooks Online and parameters for item/customer synchronization with NuORDER.
- Making necessary adjustments, such as adding new fields to your QuickBooks Online data, for an optimal NuORDER user experience.
- Designating and reviewing data in the NuORDER sandbox and providing feedback.
- Creating and reviewing test orders in QuickBooks Online and offering feedback.
- Providing final approval for the go-live stage.
- Monitoring data feeds and reviewing Error & Success notifications daily, after launch, to ensure data & order integrity.
- Collaborating with us to address any unforeseen issues that may arise once your team is actively using NuORDER in the live sales environment.
NuORDER team's involvement
From the NuORDER team, you can expect:
- An Integration Manager who will serve as your main point of contact, overseeing the project and guiding you throughout the rollout.
- An Integration Engineer who will handle the integration setup and configure the mapped fields and logic designated.
We will be responsible for:
- Gaining an understanding of your specific QuickBooks Online setup and sales process.
- Customizing integration setup based on your unique data fields, logic, and business rules.
- Synchronizing test data into the NuORDER sandbox.
- Synchronizing test orders into QuickBooks Online.
- Ensuring a smooth transition from the Sandbox to Production environment.
- Keeping your team updated throughout the process and addressing any delays as they arise.
- Resolving any unexpected issues that may occur after the go-live stage.
Data transfer method
Data will be transferred using API.
Special considerations for QuickBooks Online
Access to your QuickBooks Online Account
Before we commence, please provide us with a login to your QuickBooks Online account. It is advisable to set up a dedicated login during the project term.
These are the capabilities and callouts for what's supported.
What's supported: Products
Creating & updating items: Our system will be able to identify which items are new and which already exist in our system.
Custom fields are supported in NuORDER.
Sync parameters: You will be able to specify which products should be sent to NuORDER.
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to export product updates from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do 1-2x daily.)
Item Name: Your item name will be your style number in NuORDER. If this contains size information, your item name nomenclature must be consistent in order for NuORDER to properly truncate for your style number.
Removing products: Disabling/Archiving/Canceling products will be done directly in NuORDER.
The naming convention for item Name must be consistent, so that logic can be applied to splice the Style Number, Color, and Size from fields. If it is not consistent, you may need to take the time to update your product records so that it is consistent.
What's supported: Customers
Creating & updating customers: Our system will be able to identify which customers are new and which already exist in our system.
Custom fields can be supported if needed.
Multiple billing & shipping addresses are supported.
Sync parameters: You be able to specify which customers should be sent to NuORDER.
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to send customer updates from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do 1-2x daily.)
Buyer data (name, email address, sales rep assignment) is not included in the customer data feed and must be managed directly within NuORDER.
Common upload errors: The most common upload error is when Line 1 or Country is missing from an address. Make sure this is entered for every customer.
Two-way customer sync is not supported at this time. Your customers must originate in QuickBooks Online and be synced to NuORDER with all the necessary account codes. (This is how QuickBooks Online will recognize the customer when the order is synced back in.) Bi-directional syncing for customers is on our product roadmap for future development.
Process for New Customers: Customer records must be identical in both systems to sync orders successfully. When working with a new customer in NuORDER, you will need to save the order as a DRAFT. Your team will need to add the new customer record into QuickBooks first and sync it to NuORDER. Once the customer is visible in NuORDER, the sales rep can open their draft, select the customer, fill in the buyer's name and email address, and submit the official order.
Removing customers: Archiving customers will be done directly in NuORDER.
What's supported: Inventory
Immediate ATS (available to sell) quantities will be synced from QuickBooks to NuORDER.
Warehouses: Multiple warehouses are supported in NuORDER. You will need to set up the warehouses in NuORDER prior to uploading your data. (Go to Admin > Brand Settings.)
Automation Schedule: You will be able to decide how frequently you wish to sent inventory data from QuickBooks, up to hourly. (Most brands do hourly.)
Immediate ATS quantities are not updated in QuickBooks until the order is invoiced. If the period between the sales order creation and invoicing is significant, then inventory quantities that sync back to NuORDER will be incorrect. NuORDER does deduct quantities from inventory as orders are placed so inventory syncing can be turned off if this becomes problematic.
WIP (work-in-progress) inventory is not supported.
Prebooking: For items that should have unlimited quantity available in NuORDER, you will control this directly in NuORDER via the Admin section. Rules can be based on any product attributes, and you will have direct access to control and update the rules as needed.
What's supported: Orders (NuORDER -> QuickBooks)
Custom fields are supported.
Estimate or Invoice: The order created in NuORDER can be exported to QuickBooks as either an Estimate or an Invoice (not both).
Sync Parameters: You will be able to select Approved, Pending, or In Review orders to be exported from NuORDER.
Sync Schedule: Orders sync every 5 minutes.
Order fulfillment process: Once the order has been synced to QuickBooks, your team will take it from there per your normal approval and fulfillment process.
Order Import Failures: When we send the orders to QuickBooks, we provide the customer codes as well as the product SKUs. If any of these values are not recognized in QuickBooks, the order may fail to sync. If this happens, you will need to review the order and resolve the issue.
Editing or Canceling orders: After the order has been imported into QuickBooks, any further changes must be done directly in QuickBooks.