Today, multifactor authentication (MFA) is widely used by businesses online and continues to be one of the simplest and most secure ways to access your work.
- Recommended authenticator apps
- Setting up MFA
- Logging in with MFA
- Using recovery codes with MFA
- Removing an authentication factor
NuORDER by Lightspeed uses MFA to add an extra layer of security to a user's account to prevent unauthorized access. Using MFA reduces the risk of fraud and identity theft, and it protects businesses from attacks that may compromise data.
MFA requires the user to input their existing password. Then, with a second authentication factor enabled, they will enter a time-based, one-time (OTP/TOTP), six-digit passcode generated by an authorized third-party authentication application that expires after 30 seconds.
Recommended authenticator apps
NuORDER by Lightspeed recommends using Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, OneLogin Protect, or Twilio Authy.
Setting up MFA
MFA first needs to be set up by each user in their profile settings.
- In the lower-left corner of NuORDER, select the user's initials to navigate to the Profile Information page.
- Select Manage multifactor authentication settings.
- Select Configure to get started.
- Make sure you are setting up MFA for the desired logged in user. Download Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator on your mobile device, or select the link to see a full list of authenticator apps to choose from.
- In the downloaded authenticator app, scan the QR code to pair your mobile device, and then enter the code provided by the authenticator app. Select Pair device.
- Next, ensure you’ve saved your provided recovery codes somewhere safe. Then select I saved my codes.
- When you finish the setup, authentication details and factors appear on the main MFA page. You can Pause/Resume MFA or Remove authentication methods as you wish.
Logging in with MFA
After you set up MFA, the authentication code for login is found in any supported authenticator app, chosen by the user during setup.
- Log in to NuORDER with your username and password.
- Open your chosen authenticator app. In this example, we’re using OneLogin Protect.
- Enter the 6-digit code displayed in the authenticator app. This may automatically copy on your mobile device, depending on your personal settings.
- Now you are logged in securely to NuORDER!
Using recovery codes with MFA
Recovery codes are the primary resource for account recovery should an account holder lose access to their authorized device or access to the authentication app. The first avenue for recovering an account with two-factor authentication enabled is using the recovery codes you saved during the setup process. Ensure these are saved in a secure location that can be accessed by only the account holder when required.
There are 3 codes in total, and each can be used only one time. After a code is used, it is no longer valid, and you'll need to use another code on the list next time. When they’re all used, you can click the link in MFA settings to generate new codes.
Removing an authentication factor
In the event that you have lost access to your authenticator app, you can remove an authentication factor in the MFA settings page once you've logged in using an authentication code or with a recovery code.
To remove an authentication factor:
- Navigate to the Profile Information page > Manage multifactor authentication settings.
- For the authentication app you wish to remove, select Remove.
- Next, select Remove on the Remove only additional authentication method? modal.
After the authentication factor has been removed, you can reconfigure your MFA by setting up a new authenticator app. See the Setting up MFA section of this article for more information.
Have questions regarding NuORDER by Lightspeed's integration with MFA? Contact our Support team for help or feedback!